Thursday, September 4, 2008

Having It All

I'm so ashamed of the many in this country who are questioning Sarah Palin's ability to hold the office of Vice President, not because she's not qualified, but because she's a mother to five children.

You have got to help me understand this. Feminists, why is this an issue? Why didn't you ever question a man's ability to be both a President/Vice President and a father? Why wasn't it an issue with George Bush or Bill Clinton? Biden was in the Senate as a single father after his first wife was killed in a car accident. He later remarried and had another child. Was he questioned as to his ability to be both a senator and a father? Obama has small daughters, yet I haven't heard anyone in the press asking him how he's going to juggle the Presidency with fatherhood.

Let's take it a step further. Angolina and Brad have a new baby about every three months. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but they certainly have a tribe of them. Has anyone questioned their ability to go away for months, making movies? What about Madonna's tours that last for months on end? Anyone ever question where the kids are?

If it's happened, it's gotten by me. It sure looks to me like if you're liberal, the press doesn't make an issue of working parents. When's the last time anyone in the media questioned Rosie O'Donnell about who's watching her kids?

I for one am so proud that we finally have another woman who has a chance at becoming Vice President. Truthfully, although I consider myself a conservative (NOT a Republican - there's a difference!), I would have voted for Hillary. I thought she was the most qualified out of all of the candidates, and I thought she gave us our best chance at fixing the economy. Yet, I was appalled at the way the press treated her. I guess they were just warming up. Given the media's fascination with the Palin family, I'm surprised that anyone knows anything about her position on issues this country faces.

I'm just now realizing that many of those who were so proud of a woman seeking office really mean only a liberal woman and that any woman who disagrees with them politically should just stay home and raise babies. Is this what the feminist movement was all about?

We have another strong woman as an option. I can't say I agree with everything that Palin stands for, any more than I could say I agree with everything any of the candidates stand for. But what I know for sure is that this woman will fight for the rights of people with disabilities, and that is something I've waited a long time to hear.

I'm tired of the debate of how to handle welfare. That issue divides our country, and I'm not going to debate that with anyone. That's a social issue that I have no answers for. But what I CAN support is someone who stands up for is for those Americans who can't speak for themselves. Whether disabled at birth or through disease or accident, they need someone who has them forefront in their mind. Sarah Palin is just the person to fight for them.

So, when someone asks me my opinion of having a mother of five as a Vice President, or asks me my opinion of her unwed, pregnant, 17-year-old daughter, I for one will say, "That's none of my business." Instead, I look forward to hearing what people think about issues and solutions, and I hope that the media gets back to those and leaves the Palin family alone.

No comments: