Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Auntie Em!

A tornado whipped through our area Sunday night, and, unfortunately, we caught a portion of it. We're okay, but our basement has a lot of water, and there's a portion of a tree sitting on our roof. The tree still has a number of limbs hanging by a thread, along with a ton of junk in and around the tree. Our BBQ grill went tumbling across the patio. A couple of our plants bit the dust, along with one planter.

We lost power Sunday afternoon and didn't get it back until sometime last night. We don't know exactly when it came on, because by yesterday we had given up and gone to a hotel. The dogs had a dogcation at a friend's house and just got home a little bit ago.

Our fridge items and most of our freezer items are ruined, so my next order of business is take an inventory and throw it all out. Our deep freeze items made it through just fine, so at least I don't have to deal with that.

We're fine, and I think even the roof will be fine once they get the tree off it. Randy looked in the attic, and it doesn't appear there's any roof damage. We won't know for sure about the chimney until they get the tree off, since the tree is wrapped around the chimney.

On top of everything, both of us are having the busiest weeks we've had in a long time on our jobs, and we can't put our jobs on hold while we deal with all of this drama. To keep myself from getting too worked up, I keep reminding myself of all of the things that I'm grateful for. I'll even share my list:

1. We're all safe and sound.
2. We have good insurance, and they've been wonderful to work with.
3. We had already established ourselves with a tree service, so they are willing to do our tree work. Those that aren't already customers are really in trouble.
4. Our power is finally back!
5. We're lucky to have jobs, even though they're stressful right now.

I have taken a bunch of pictures, and I'll post those when I get a chance. Until then, please keep all of the storm victims in your prayers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't realize it was that bad in your area. Grandma is staying with me this week due to power failure.

Thank goodness all turned out well! Too bad Randy has more work to do now!

Aunt D.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you got hit by the storm. The most important thing like you said is you are both safe. We did not get hit very hard and did not lose any power. A person I work with still does not have power and they have a graduation open house this weekend. This morning they were told at least 20 more hours. I think I would have had a break-down by now.
Vickie