Thursday, March 19, 2009


After dinner tonight, Mr. Love suggested we take a walk through Scott's Woods, which is part of Lansing's Riverwalk. We didn't realize it was as cold and windy as it was, only in the mid 30's, I guess. The walk took us into Hawk Island Park, which is a lake surrounded by the walkway and picnic areas, etc. Boy, when we hit those open areas by the lake, we were about to freeze to death. We had only worn sweatshirts and really regretted not putting on coats and hats.

As I walked and began to feel sorry for myself that I was freezing, I thought of a man I saw today when I was getting groceries at WalMart. He was slightly older than me, and shopping with an older man, probably his father. He was disabled, with his left leg totally stiff. He walked with a cane and heavily relied on that cane. I was leaving the store at the same time they were, and a line quickly formed behind them as they exited, given that they were moving at such a slow pace.

The man with the cane, though, he gave it his all. He really was pushing himself to go as fast as he could. I don't know if his disability is permanent or temporary, but it sure looked to me like he was a man who was not going to let that get the best of him.

So, as I was walking tonight, feeling the burn of the cold air on my face and ears, I thought about him. I thought how lucky I was to be able to walk unassisted, that I had the choice about how far I wanted to walk. I wasn't limited by any physical problems, and I needed to just let go of how cold I was feeling and enjoy the moment.

Sometimes it's the little things in life that make you stop and count your blessings.

No comments: