Thursday, March 5, 2009

Day Trip To See the Sights



We had a great day together in Detroit. There's a Star Trek exhibit at the Detroit Science Center, and I really wanted to make sure that Randy made it down there while it was here. We went today, avoiding weekend crowds. It was perfect timing. We got there just after it opened and got through the whole thing before the buses of kids started showing up.

The exhibit was cool, even for someone who isn't a trekie. No pictures were allowed, but I did sneak a couple. We also have a couple that they took for us and we bought, but truthfully right now I'm too tired to go downstairs to scan them in. :-)



The exhibit was great, but because there were no crowds and we were able to get through it so quickly, we found that we were done and out of there by 11 AM. We debated about whether to just head home, but we have both wanted to go to the Detroit Institute of Arts for a long time now. Mr. Love has never been, and I haven't been since they added on and remodeled. Since it was right across the street, and we had already paid for parking for the day, we went for it.

It was a blast. We both LOVED it. As much as I loved that place before, I can't even begin to find the words for how huge it is now. We were there for hours and only made it about half way through. We saw the main things we wanted to see, but we know we want to go back and see the rest when our feet aren't quite so tired. Here are a few of the incredible things we saw:









Of course no trip to the DIA is complete unless you see things that you can't believe are actually hanging in a museum. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you our favorite "ART."

Gold leaf in gold frame.....

Randy wanted so bad to rearrange these just to see if anyone noticed....
I'm Batman!
This looks exactly like the paper I use to protect my table when I'm painting chipboard for a scrapbook page. I never thought about framing it until now.

And another one........

Lay this down and you could use it for ping pong.

After I saw this one, I had the "YMCA" song in my head the rest of the afternoon.

Tom Hanks, "The Money Pit"

And my absolute favorite.... I kid you not....this is called "Wool Suit."

No comments: