Saturday, April 19, 2008

Savannah - Day 1

What a trip we're having! The weather has been just perfect, high 70's, low 80's. We had a long day getting down here, 16 hours total, but it was worth it to have just one day of driving. Today we got up and around and headed downtown. We jumped on a trolley car, one of those that is a tour but you can get off and on whenever you want.


Our first stop was this beautiful cathedral named for John the Baptist.










From there, we walked to Savannah's downtown graveyard, where they actually used to have duels. I guess that's one way to drum up business.






There was a lot to see, but this is what my Dad and my husband found most interesting.... a big stump.
From there, we jumped back on the trolley and headed to the waterfront. We shopped, we ate, and we walked and walked and walked and walked. We were tuckered at the end of it all. We got on the final trolley to go back to our car, and the driver asked us if we had a good day. My Dad yelled, "I didn't." The whole car cracked up. We weren't so sure if we should laugh, because I think he might have meant it. My Dad's not much of a shopper, so this wasn't his first choice of ways to spend the day. He did all right, though, and he was still making jokes at the end of the day, as tired as he was.




This was my favorite purchase. It's a rubber thing with weights on both sides. You lay it on top of an open book, with a weight on each page, and it keeps the book open so you can keep both hands free and still read. It's great for eating lunch. I'm so excited about this!

Dinner tonight was at the Pirate's House. I ate there about 15 years ago and had one of the best meals of my life. I went on and on about it so long that I was afraid I had built it up too much and my family wouldn't think it was that great. Well, the meals came, and everyone loved the food. Then my Mom said, "Well, that was about the worst meal I've ever had." So you see, my Dad isn't the only one in my family who makes wise cracks. Is it any wonder I'm the way I am?








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TO ALL WHO READ THIS: Notice how no one mentions the other daughter and the other daugthter's family and how they were never invited and purposely left behind! Hope you all get sunburned! Just kidding, guys! Though I truly am jealous but you already know that!