Sunday, April 13, 2008

We're Fighting

Mr. Love and I have the same fight several times each week. We break every rule about fighting when it comes to doing the dishes. We "right fight" as Dr. Phil says, meaning we are out to be right, not to resolve the issue. We talk over each other, we justify, beg, plead.....we even try to cut deals.

See, we don't have a dishwasher. Our dishwasher is the sink and a cloth, combined with elbow grease. Everyone hates to do dishes, right? Well, at our house we argue over who GETS to do the dishes.

I don't know how it all started, but I do believe it began right about the time I read "Proper Care and Feeding of a Husband" by Dr. Laura. I've now read it twice, and I can honestly say it changed me, and it changed my marriage.

Now, back to the dishes. We fight about it every single time there are dishes to do. One of us "calls it," and says, "I'm doing the dishes." Then the other person begins to argue. This goes on for a while until one of us runs for the kitchen. It's pretty much first person there gets to do it, and the other person sulks.

There have been twists along the way as well. Say we have a quick dinner and have to run out somewhere for the evening. We each have been known to sneak home and do the dishes to get ahead of the other person. This usually ends with one person coming through the door and announcing, "You're in big trouble!" And the other person plays dumb and acts like the dogs did the dishes while we were at work.

I'm so lucky to have my Mr. Love. What a great man who will fight with me over who "gets" to do the dishes. With the help of Dr. Laura, I just hope I can do as much for him.

No comments: