Tuesday, July 22, 2008

No One Mourns the Wicked


Last year we had tickets to see "Wicked" as part of our season tickets to the Wharton Center at MSU. We've had season tickets for a number of years, and Randy and I both saw quite a few shows even before we met. So, together, I think we pretty much know what to expect from a show. This show was unbelievable and not like anything either of us had seen before.

"Wicked" is the story of Glinda, the good witch, and Elphaba, the wicked witch, and what happens to them before the Wizard of Oz movie begins. It's funny, touching, and absolutely beautiful to watch. The songs and voices gave me chills.



As I said, we saw it last year, and we were blown away. On the way home, Randy said, "I don't care if we have to go to New York or Chicago, we have to see that show again." I felt the same way. And, as luck would have it, Wharton came through for us again. That very night that we saw "Wicked," we came home to an e-mail from Wharton that it was coming back this year, and we could buy tickets the following morning.


Tonight there we were, Row B, smack dab in the center, perfect seats. It was every bit as good as we remembered. The two witches were played by different people, but surprisingly most of the rest of the cast was the same as last year. Naturally I had done a scrapbook page of it last year, so I had the playbill and was able to compare casts. Go ahead, say it, I'm a dork.


We decided that this time we paid more attention to the story and caught more of the little details than last time. The first time we were so blown away by the songs, costumes, and special effects. They were just as good this time, but when you know what's coming, you're able to pay more attention.


We really debated about whether to go tonight or whether to head up to Arcadia. I'm glad we made the choice we did. It would be nice to be up there now, but I really needed this night out to just escape and relax. We haven't done a lot this summer except hang out at home, so it was really nice to have such a good show to see.

This is just the first week of the show, and there are still tickets available. Don't let it pass you by. We talked to a lot of people around us tonight, and they were all ages, and they all loved it. You will, too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And, should you still need tickets to Wicked, I have access to 2 tickets which a friend is unable to use. They are in Row 2, center stage, for the Saturday, Aug 2nd, 8:00pm performance. Cost $125 each. Contact nancysimpson@cablespeed.com for further info.

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh! You are so right! Mike and I went Wednesday night and loved every minute of the show. We have been to many plays as well, but this I give ten fingers up and toes as well.

My scrap page is in the works. I loved yours, I hope mine turns out just as well.

Sue B.