Monday, December 8, 2008

Job Search Update


Well, what can I say about a job search in Michigan in December, even in the best of years?

The truth is that very few jobs open up this month. Few people get fired right before Christmas, and few people choose to leave their jobs right before Christmas. Everyone takes time off, everyone has too much to do, and adding to staff just isn't a big priority. Even if you need someone, would you hire them this month, knowing how crazy it is and that most people will be on vacation at some point?

I've been off work since November 3. I've applied for approximately 40 jobs so far. I've heard back on a couple.....they're not going to fill the job, I'm not qualified, etc. (knew I wasn't qualified when I applied, but I had to take a shot). I had one interview, thought it went well, but I didn't get the job. She had 200 applicants for that one position. I made it through the phone interview and the face-to-face interview, and they chose someone else. It happens.

Right now I only really have one job in my sights, and God only knows how many people are competing for that one position. I check my HR professional web site every day for jobs, and as I write this, they have a total of FOUR jobs for the entire state of Michigan, none of which are near me or jobs that I am qualified to do.

I was really hoping to be working by the new year, but that doesn't seem to be a reality. I'm keeping busy, that's for sure, but it's always on my mind. I need a job. My mind needs to be challenged. I need some problems to solve, and I need a paycheck.

So, if you're wondering, I'm still looking every day, checking 15+ websites each day, calling those in the field who may know of openings, keeping track of my unemployment calls, and along the way trying to relax a bit, read some books, make some cards, and keep my brain occupied. Thanks to all of you who check in regularly with me - it really helps.

No comments: