Friday, March 21, 2008

Working From Home

I'm working from home today, something I do just as often as I can. I love it. I get a lot done, and I can wear sweat pants all day with no makeup. Love it love it love it!

Randy's home today. He's got a holiday today for Good Friday. At about 10:30 he came upstairs, and here's how our conversation went:

Randy: "It's so strange to see you working."

Lori: "Why do people think that when you work from home that you really just take naps and watch TV?"

Randy: "No, I mean it's strange that you actually have things to do. We all think HR people just chit chat on the phone all day and have fun."

Lori: "So far today I've answered a ton of e-mail, reviewed a proposed reorg of the Michigan management structure, lead a conference call, helped a recruiter with a communication that needs to go out, finalized two job titles, processed a few layoffs, spent 30 minutes on the phone discussing our performance review process with an HR person in Texas, and now I'm reviewing a corporate manager newsletter before they send it out. I've done that for just over two hours today. Do you think that sounds like I've been chit chatting on the phone?"

Randy: "I guess you just have one of those jobs that no one understands."

I think he's right. No one can ever remember where I work or what I do. Think of it this way.... I'm a problem solver. I help when people break the rules, when they stink at their job, when they can't get along with others, when they have a family problem that takes them off work, when they have a personal issue that distracts them, when they need help understanding a process or policy.....I'm the woman with the answers. If I don't know it, I can find it. I'm here to help, and I don't mean like how the IRS is here to help. I try to make things easier for everyone in my region by giving them support, answers, and direction on how to get out of that hole they dug for themselves. I get a lot of calls from people saying, "I hate to tell you what I've done, but I need your help getting out of it."

And now, I need to get back to work.... Happy Good Friday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So that's what you do. I've always wondered:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori, I enjoyed your pics and comments. Have to agree, there would be a lot of mixed feelings. But I have been thinking about you calling your mom Squirrely. I was willing to agree with you until I seen the pic of the bright orange phone. Guess I have NEVER seen anything quite like that before. Are you going to hide...I mean use it??? lol Lea Pinckney