Thursday, January 8, 2009

Wiped Out on Thursday!

I started my day by going to the doctor for my annual physical. What a joyous event that is, right ladies? Well, I did actually enjoy the part where she came in and congratulated me on my weight loss. That was the first thing she said to me, and believe me, it made my day.

From there, I had some errands to do. Some went well, some not so well. We have our insurance through Randy's work, and somewhere along the way with their 2009 upgrade, they changed how they charge for prescriptions. So, I go strolling into WalGreens, innocent that I am, to find that my previous $20 prescription is now $50. FIFTY DOLLARS. FIFTY. DOLLARS. AMERICAN DOLLARS.

Then came home to find the cable bill went up AGAIN, for about the millionth (millionth? is that a word?) time. Each time it happens I swear I'm canceling but I never do. They know they have you over a barrel, and what are you supposed to do about it?

Well, a job would sure help! But I digress.

Then I go to Sam's to pick up some enlargements I had made for our living room. I sent them in online Friday night. They called Saturday and said their machine was done, so they would be ready on Monday. OK, this is Thursday. Again, innocent that I am, I go waltzing in there like I think I'm actually going to be able to pick up my pictures.

WRONG. The gum chewing lady behind the counter says the repairman didn't show up on Monday. When I told her that I had received a call that my pictures would be ready on Monday, her reply was "Well, it's been down since before Christmas." Now, I'm not always the brightest bulb, but that answer really didn't have much to do with the fact that I was told my pictures would be ready on Monday.

She went back to chewing her gum, and I left, shaking my head.

Why is it that so many people behind counters chew gum?

I can't stand hearing or seeing someone chew gum. Yuk.

OK, back to my day.

I head home and figure out how to mail in the prescription so at least I can pay a discounted rate. This involves printing off forms on the web site and calling customer service where, thankfully, the man who answered wasn't chewing gum. Then a trip to the post office to mail it off, a stop at the second grocery store of the day (gotta take advantage of the sales, wherever they are!), and then a trip to the OTHER Sam's in town to pick up the pictures. Thankfully, those were ready, and they were beautiful. Unfortunately, once again, the girl behind the counter was chewing that gum like nobody's business. But she was kind, efficient, and she actually had pictures for me to take home, so all was good.

A lot of good things happened today. Of course, there was the mention of the weight loss, and that alone makes it a good day. I was also lucky that I had just been to the doctor and had a new prescription to mail in, so I didn't have to pay the FIFTY AMERICAN DOLLARS at WalGreens. I also hit the radio stations just right and heard all sorts of my favorite songs as I was driving. I was singing my heart out heading down the road, enjoying every minute of it.

I was very good about using my coupons today and saved a boatload of money between the sales and coupons. Gotta love THAT.

I got the pictures hung in the living room, and they look so nice! Just what we needed in there. We have frames that we bought in the fall for fall pictures, and I just reused them for winter pictures. It's a pretty cheap way to change the look in the room each season.

I also dodged two bullets today on the way to the post office. The route I took is 35 mph most of the way, but it's easy to go beyond that without even knowing. For some reason, probably because I was singing along with the radio, I was actually going under the speed limit when I saw the first cop waiting to pull someone over. I couldn't believe my luck, and then, just as I had forgotten him, there was ANOTHER one waiting for a speeder. Again, I was under the limit so just went right by him. Love it when that happens!

Tonight I was watching the Bonnie Hunt show (I think it was Monday's episode). She showed this video, and it just touched me. If you love babies or dogs or both, it will touch you, too. Enjoy.


No comments: